Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Homemade overnight cinnamon rolls

These cinnamon rolls I hold near and dear to my heart because they are a tradition of sorts. I knew I would get to have one at least once a year because my mom made them every Christmas morning for as far back as I can remember. So that is what we did, we opened our stocking and presents from Santa and then sat at the kitchen counter and ate cinnamon rolls until our bellies were full. A great thing. However this year I wasn't home for Christmas but of course I knew I wanted to keep the tradition alive for my own selfish reasons (they are SO yummy) and also because I like tradition and I think this is one Clark and I and someday our kids can enjoy for a very long time. So yeah, these photos are from Christmas morning, a little late on posting but these cinnamon rolls are totally worth the blog share. Trust me.
You'll need:
1 pkg active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water
2 cups cold water
1 cup nonfat dry milk powder
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
about 6 1/2 cups flour
Directions:
1. In a large bowl dissolve yeast in warm water and let stand for 5 minutes.
2. Add cold water, dry milk, oil, sugar, and salt. Stir well.
3. Gradually add flour about 6 cups. Stir well after each cup. Dough will feel elastic-y.
4. Spray a different large bowl with 'Pam' and place in bowl. Spray plastic wrap with 'pam' and cover bowl. Let rise for 5 hours or overnight.
5. Sprinkle dough with flour, punch down dough, divide into 1/2 (easier to work with each piece), cover and let rise for 1 hour.
6. Roll out dough on floured surface, spread melted butter on the dough of dough, sprinkle with cinnamon, white sugar, and brown sugar. (use quiet a lot of cinnamon and sugar.)
7. Roll up dough and cut into pieces. Put in pan and let rise for 45 minutes.
8. Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes for until golden brown.
9. Dough makes about 20 cinnamon rolls
10. For icing mix 1/3 cup melted butter, 1 1/2 tsp vanilla, 3 cups powdered sugar and 2-4 tablespoons water.
11. Ice the cinnamon rolls when they are hot and again once they have cooled.
I know these are a mouth full or directions but trust me they are totally worth it. I woke up at 6am to punch down the dough and let rise for another hour and got back in bed. I also only make 1/2 a batch. So I divided all the ingredients above and the recipe made 9 rolls so if you don't want a ton of cinnamon rolls maybe 1/2 a batch will do. They also keep well frozen, just pop them in the microwave when you want one. Let me know if you have any questions about the recipe. 
love, Carlee

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the wonderful comment. I read and enjoy every single one. Have a question for me, I will reply as soon as I can. Love , Carlee