Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Mini peach pies

I love mini pies. The first mini pies were the mini blackberry pies I made back in April 2013 then I made mini chicken pot pies November of last year. I just think they are better than regular pie and this is why: because they are single serving so easier for each person to eat and also because I think they save better for later. And while I haven’t done a lot of research in comparing mini pie making to regular pie making, mini pies are what I like to make and especially since I am only cooking/ baking for 2 and most of the time we don’t need a whole pie. I also worry that I might not get a whole pie cooked thoroughly. But with this recipe I did not have to worry about that.
This recipe is fairly easy the hardest part as usual is making and getting the crush right. Homemade pie crust is one of my favorite things.

You’ll need
Crust
1/3 cold butter
1 cup flour
1 tsp salt
3-4 tbsp ice cold water

Filling
2 large peaches
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 pinch of nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp butter (for the top)

Makes 4 mini pies cupcake/muffin size.
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. 
2. Make crust first. Start by pouring flour and salt into bowl and mixing. 
3. Cut small cubes of butter and mix into flour. I use two knives and slice back and forth trying to cut up the cold butter as small as possible. 
4. Do this until all the butter is into the flour. It should be lumpy. 
5. Put in 1 tbsp of water into the crust mixture and mix in with knives and use your hands to start lumping dough together. (DONT KNEAD TO MUCH.) 
6. Put in the second tbsp and then the third. Do one at a time. You don’t want your mixture to by moist. I only used 3 tbsp in the above recipe. 
7. Put some flour on a clean surface and rolling pin. 
8. Roll out dough to about 1/4 in thick. Then cut out with large circle (I used a cutter that was 4 1/2 inches in diameter. It was close to a perfect for the muffin tins. 
9. Grease bottom of muffin tim.  Place the dough circles into a cupcake/muffin tin. 
10. Mix all filling ingredients in a bowl. 
11. Fill peach mixture into the muffin tin.
12. Put chunks of butter on top of peach filling.
13. Place top crust on top of each pie and pinch at the sides all around pie. (I used a medium glass 3 inches in diameter for the top crust)
14. Cut small slits in top of pies. 
15. Place in oven that is 400 degrees bake for 10 minutes.
16. Turn oven down to 350 degrees and back for 20 - 25 minutes.
17. Let cool and serve with ice cream. 
These were really yummy and after we got done eating them, I decided that I like apple pie better than peach just because I like the taste of fresh peaches better than peaches in pie so I would prefer apple pie. So next time mini apple pie or just a regular apple (I think it’s safe to say apple pie is my favorite pie.) I tried to explain the directions good in this recipe because I was looking back on my own recipes and felt like I didn’t explain good enough. Hopefully this one is better!
love, Carlee

3 comments:

  1. These look amazing. I kind of wish i wasn't allergic to peaches though....

    Anyways! I nominated you for the Bloggers with Class award. Check it out @ sincerelyalaska.blogspot.com.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love peaches! I want to make these on my next day off.

    xo
    www.style-wire.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the wonderful comment. I read and enjoy every single one. Have a question for me, I will reply as soon as I can. Love , Carlee