Monday, September 22, 2014

Arsenal Park

We visited Arsenal Park here in Fayetteville last week. It is nice to keep discovering new places here that are full of history and richness. We first learned around Arsenal Park when we visited the Cape Fear Museum and the Poe House. I knew I wanted to come back and explore Arsenal Park more. Most of it has been destroyed (story below) but the foundation still stands and there is even a ‘ghost’ tower which represents were the towers stood at the 4 corners of the arsenal. 
After the War of 1812, the U.S. wanted to expand its defenses and commissioned the construction of five arsenals. Fayetteville, NC was chosen as a site for one of those new arsenals.By 1858, just three years prior to the Civil War, the arsenal facility was just about complete. When North Carolina seceded from the Union in April 1861, local militia took the arsenal, turned it over to the State of North Carolina, who in turn gave it to the new Confederate States of America.The Confederacy used the arsenal to produce rifles, ammunition, and gun carriages. Union troops, commanded by Gen. William T. Sherman, destroyed the facility in 1865. (All information from here)
I picked up this dress at Target a couple of weeks ago. I had a coupon for $5 off $25 in the apparel department and it was expiring soon. I have been wanted a dress with a little bit of sleeve. Believe it or not all the dress I own are just tank straps or sleeveless. I kept trying dresses on with a little sleeve but they all seemed to ‘baby doll’ on me but this one was perfect and felt different to me. I think maybe because I liked the forest green color (which I thought would be perfect for fall/winter) and also the fit was rather flattering. I can’t wait to wear it with tights/boots/ sweaters and other dark rich colors. 

We had a really great fun-filled weekend which I will be sharing more of later this week. 
love, Carlee
Dress: Target
Sandals: Old Navy

2 comments:

  1. Love your outfit, and what a fun weekend!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. a beautiful place
    http://keepcalmandreadmorebooks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the wonderful comment. I read and enjoy every single one. Have a question for me, I will reply as soon as I can. Love , Carlee