Wednesday, November 12, 2014

The Road North and Philly

I guess it seems like I have taken a break since I haven’t posted on the blog in a week, but I haven’t. Quite the opposite actually. Clark and I went to New York City over the long weekend. We left at 3pm on Friday after Clark got off of work and we drove for about 5 hours to Baltimore, Maryland where we stayed the night Friday night. Then we woke up the next morning and headed toward NYC at about 8am. Since it was only gonna take less than 3 hours to get to NYC from Baltimore we decided to make a little stop in Philadelphia to see the Liberty Bell and get a Philly Cheesesteak. I had already been to Philly but Clark hadn’t and I thought ‘let’s go, we have the time, and I don’t want you to regret not seeing some history while we have the chance.’
So we got to the Liberty Bell/Independence Hall plaza about 9am and everything was open then. It was Saturday morning but still not very busy but it was really chilly Saturday morning we had to bundle up in our coats. We made our way there the security at the Liberty Bell and marveled at the Bell for a minute. Then we walked passed Independence Hall and even saw Benjamin Franklins grave. Then Clark got a Philly Cheesesteak at 10am from a street vendor because he decided he couldn’t go to Philly and not get one. I think he made the right choice.

After Philly we got back on I95 N toward NYC and drove another 130 hours to the city. We came in from New Jersey and drove passed the Newark airport and got into the city from the Holland Tunnel which was really cool especially since back in June I read the book Gone to New York with a whole essay on the Holland Tunnel and how it was built. Clark drove into the city... I am to nervous. But then I started saying to Clark “you just have to cut in, you have to be aggressive.” and he was like “do you want to drive.” Lucky for us we made it all the way there and back in tact with no accidents.
One thing I will say I didn’t enjoy about the drive up was all the tolls. We paid $39 from our home in NC to our hotel in NYC just in tolls. It cost us $10.50 to go on the New Jersey Turnpike and $13 to get into the city. For you east coast folk I know this is the reg. but for my west coast grown mind, I am not use to it. I have been to the east coast and NYC before so I knew there would be tolls ( I was prepared with cash) but $40 each way. I could find a few things I would rather spend that money on (I am cheap, what can I say.) But it was worth it and in the end if $80 in tolls (there and back) and over spending on souvenirs is the worst thing about our trip, I can safely say our trip was a major success.

More to come this week:)
love, Carlee

Recommendations:

Sugar Shack Donuts: just off I95 in Richmond VA. The donuts were so good, light and fluffy with tons of topping and the donuts were so unique and awesome. We got Baby Ruth, Honey Lavender, Oreo Cheesecake, Vanilla with sprinkles, etc.

Cheesesteak in Philly: Clark got one from a street vendor that was awesome but last time I went to Philly we went to the Reading Terminal Market and my mom got a fantastic one there too.

Seven Foot Knoll Lighthouse: This is in Baltimore and I definitely want to check this lighthouse out next time I am passing through. Unfortunately, Clark and I were on a time crunch and wanted to get to NYC.

Baltimore Berger Cookies: While we didn’t get a chance to try these, I heard they are so amazing and of course unique to Baltimore.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the wonderful comment. I read and enjoy every single one. Have a question for me, I will reply as soon as I can. Love , Carlee