Thursday, October 29, 2015

Finger Cookies // Halloween

I haven’t done a food / recipe post since February gah so crazy. Not that I haven’t been eating haha. Just nothing worth sharing. Anyways, these cookies are so good and every year back home my mom would make them for Halloween and even when I was in college she would send me some. Well, this year we are having a little Halloween party with our friends on Saturday and I thought they would be perfect and they are always a big hit! The cookies are kind of frightening must mostly just really tasty!
You’ll need:
1 cup butter softened (no substitues)
1 cup powered sugar
1 egg
1-1 /2 tsp vanilla
1-1/2 tsp almond extract
2- 3/4 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1tsp salt

Red decorating gel
1/2 cup sliced almonds
Directions:
1. Heat oven to 325 degrees
2. In a mixing bowl cream butter, sugar, eggs together then add the vanilla and almond extracts.
3. Combine flour, baking powder and salt and add to mixing bowl.
4. Divide dough in half - wrap in wax paper and refrigerate for 30-45 minutes
5. Work with one piece of dough at a time, roll into 3”-1/2” fingers.
         6. Using the flat tip of a butter knife make an indent on the end of each finger for the nail.
         7. With the same knife make three slits in the middle of each finger for the knuckles.
8. Place fingers two inches apart on greases cookie sheet and back for 18 minutes.
(I set the timer for 15 minutes then checked them. 17-18 is usually perfect)
9. Cool for 3-5 minutes
10. Squeeze a small amount of red gel at the base of the finger nail.
11. Press one slices almond over the gel for make the nail.
12. Makes about 40-50 cookies

These cookies are so good and if you want you can add just a little more almond extract so they are extra tasty, totally do it. I might have ;) Anyways so good. Also my mom said that you can make them and then freeze them for a couple days and let them thaw (takes about 1-2 hours) then decorate with gel and almonds after they have unthawed. Enjoy.
love, Carlee

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the wonderful comment. I read and enjoy every single one. Have a question for me, I will reply as soon as I can. Love , Carlee